Re: Help request: strange issue with xfce xfwm4 on AMD hardware, running head

From: Guido Falsi <mad_at_madpilot.net>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2023 10:00:28 UTC
On 27/05/23 11:40, Guido Falsi wrote:
> On 27/05/23 11:09, Olivier Duchateau wrote:
>> Le 27/05/2023 à 10:44, Guido Falsi a écrit :
>>> Forgot to CC this list, here is a link to the message:
>>>
>>> https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-x11/2023-May/003306.html
>>>
>>> Short story is, XFCE xfwm4 started crashing on login on my laptop for
>>> no apparent reason, working fine elsewhere, and I have no clue what
>>> broke it.
>>>
>>> Could be a local machine issue, but could also something bigger that
>>> will trickle down to more users. Looks related to the graphics hardware.
>>>
>>> Here is also a direct link to the upstream bug I filed:
>>>
>>> https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/xfwm4/-/issues/722
>>>
>>> If anyone has suggestions they are appreciated!
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> On AMD, I have been using xf86-video-vesa, worth to try.
>

> It has been working quite fine with drm drivers up to two days ago,
> before this last update. Anyway it's something I'm going to try, at
> least as an  experiment.
>
> I've also been suggested to try forcing X11 to use DRM2.
>
> While I do want to have my laptop working, what I really am trying to do
> is understand what has caused it to break and if it could affect more
> users.
>

>> In .xsession-errors is there something related to xfwm4?
>>
> .xsession-errors contains the error i posted in the xfce bug report:
>
> (xfwm4:2083): Gdk-ERROR **: 22:27:41.448: The program 'xfwm4' received
> an X Window System error.
> This probably reflects a bug in the program.
> The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
>    (Details: serial 1728 error_code 11 request_code 149 (unknown)
> minor_code 2)
>    (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
>     that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
>     To debug your program, run it with the GDK_SYNCHRONIZE environment
>     variable to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
>     backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
> function.)
>

> There's also a backtrace there.

Just to be completely clear, Xorg is working fine as far as I can see,
by starting it with a different session and simply starting other clients.

It's just xfwm4 that started acting up and crashing with that error when
logging in and starting a session.

I guess something I did in the last update triggered it, but nothing
involved looks like a likely cause, so I'm running out of idea for what
to test and possible causes.

--
Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>