CFT: fwget(8)

From: Emmanuel Vadot <manu_at_bidouilliste.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 07:59:09 UTC
 Hello,

Recently I've adde the fwget(8) utility, see
https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/commit/?id=d198b8774d2cfb6f140893e1c6236af9e97d1497

 The goal of this program is to scan the hardware and download the
needed firmwares, for now it only do that for Intel GPUs and recent AMD
GPUs (the one supported by amdgpu.ko).

 I'd like to know if I handled correctly the mapping between ids on
Intel and AMD GPUs (for i915kms and amdgpu drm module).
 I'm pretty sure that Intel is correct but I could have messed up some
AMD ones. Also for some AMD GPUs you need two firmware generations and
it's hard to know by looking at the code. It would be good to fix any
bugs/miss-match before 14.0
 The best way to test if everything works is :

 1/ pkg delete gpu-firmware-\*
 2/ (optional) pkg install drm-515-kmod/drm-510-kmod (if you had the
meta package drm-kmod installed it would have been removed in step 1)
 3/ fwget
 4/ kldload i915kms/amdgpu

 For i915kms just check dmesg for lines saying something like
 "drmn0: successfully loaded firmware image ...", this means that
everything is correct for your hardware.
 If you see a line like
 "drmn0: could not load firmware image ..."
 please open a PR on bugzilla with dmesg and pciconf -vl attached.
 Note that firmware for i915kms are optional, they only help with power
management and suspend/resume.

 For amdgpu the driver will fail to attach and you will loose the
display if the firmwares aren't present so you will need to ssh into
the machine to check for similar lines like i915kms.

 Thanks,

--
Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com> <manu@freebsd.org>