Re: Old NVIDIA card, new FreeBSD = failure?

From: Greg V <greg_at_unrelenting.technology>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 19:25:14 UTC

On June 25, 2021 7:52:20 PM UTC, Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com> wrote:
>	I use AMD, not Nvidia, but I have been looking for over a year
>for a low end card actively supported by drm-kmod and/or
>drm-current-kmod.  Figuring out which chipsets they support ... let's
>just call it both educational and frustrating.
>	(For anyone in my position: I _think_ the RX 460 and above
>support GCN 2.1, which is what I _think_ is the bottom-end
>specification.  Cards matching this number seem to start at about
>US $50.)

Hi,

GCN is the name of the GPU architecture, not something a GPU "supports"..

Polaris generation (RX 460-590) GPUs are GCN 4.0. Yes, they are a very good option. But you can use older GCN just as well.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/ is a good resource for searching through all the models. In the "Architecture" selector, you can choose any GCN, as well as RDNA 1. Just not RDNA 2 yet.