Re: Latest version of wifi-firmware-iwlwifi-kmod behaving better
- In reply to: S. Ross Gohlke: "Re: Latest version of wifi-firmware-iwlwifi-kmod behaving better"
- Go to: [ bottom of page ] [ top of archives ] [ this month ]
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2025 03:05:53 UTC
On Mon, 4 Aug 2025, S. Ross Gohlke wrote: > That is what prompted me to finally try building wifi-firmware-iwlwifi-kmod > from ports because I noticed it was a newer version. It's still on 20241017; nothing changed there. Only __FreeBSD_version got bumped so the second number for the kmod packages increased. > In three days of > moderate use since then I have not had to manually run "service netif restart > wlan0" once; I also haven't had nearly as many tabs open. So it's likely a usage pattern. >>> * Occasionally over the last few months, frequently restarting netif >>> service freezes the system; I have not used the current installation long >>> enough to say if this is resolved >> >> I had 7 of them over the weekend; one was WiFi with my own dev code; the >> others were drm, usb, ... >> Given you are runing CURRENT ddb should be enabled; if you have a dump >> device set in rc.conf you could blindly try to type the following when >> it happens (write it down somewhere maybe so you have it at hand if you >> cannot get to emails otherwise): >> dump >> [wait 15 seconds] >> reset >> >> You can repeat that a few times; sometimes it doesn't work right away >> for me; chances are if it works that you get a crashdump and you can >> figure out if what caused the panic. >> > Do you mean when the system freezes? Are you talking about typing those > commands in a terminal, or are you saying the system, in such state, might > accept those commands as input regardless of the active window (I can't > imagine that's what you mean but just checking). > > Thanks for the tip, I will try it. In fact, thanks for all the tips and for > all your work on this project. What I am saying is that when your system "freezes", e.g mouse no longer moves, you can no longer switch to ALT-CTRL-F1 manually, etc. the system likely paniced. In that case it will sit in ddb but you cannot see that as graphics does not switch to VT on panic in a lot of cases. So blindly feeding commands to ddb (in-kernel debugger) is still possible in most cases. /bz -- Bjoern A. Zeeb r15:7