Request for testing - firmware crash, wpa, locking

From: Bjoern A. Zeeb <bz_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 20:09:01 UTC
Hi,

(1) Colin has fixed the panic (after the firmware crash) so many people keep
seeing.  This may mean that you may now (contrary to before) try a
 	service netif restart wlan0
to recover from such a crash.  This changes is all the way to 13.2.
I am still very pre-occupied with real life but I am hoping that I can
get a possible fix tested and pushed during my Easter "holidays".

(2) Along with enweiwu and cy the "startup problem" showing as
"CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-FAILED" was debugged a bit more.  We've for now
backed out the rc startup script change and restored the old behaviour
of wpa_supplicant with additional logging.  This changes is currently in
main only but will be MFCed to stable/13 in the next week most likely.
If you etcupdate (mergemaster) and pull that change in I would kindly
ask you to turn on debugging for wpa_supplicant and check if you see
any log lines including "(changed)"  [beware most should be "(no
change)" along with IFF_UP in the line.  If so please contact me.
I still have a hypothesis that we may simply exploit a race in net80211
there which will need better fixing.

(3) if you are using iwlwifi (or rtw88) I just pushed some locking
changes into main.  I would appreciate if you could test and let me know
if there are any new regressions (they do not fix the firmware crash
from (1) yet!).

Lots of health,
/bz

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb                                                     r15:7