Re: New laptop: AC 9461/9560: iwm or iwlwifi?

From: Bjoern A. Zeeb <bz_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 16:49:30 UTC
On Sat, 29 Oct 2022, Andrea Venturoli wrote:

> On 10/29/22 18:39, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
>> On 10/28/22 14:58, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
>>
>> Hello.
>
> P.S.
>
> FYI:
> I just issued "ifconfig wlan0 destroy" (in order to the connect a wired
> interface) and got:
>
>> Oct 29 18:39:35 hector kernel: iwlwifi0: Microcode SW error detected.
>> Restarting 0x0.

No need to dstroy wifi.  ifconfig wlan0 down should be enough.  There
shoudl also be other ways these days in that default route over LAN
could take priority over WLAN (my understanding is this should be
possible but maybe in main only and I haven't seen anyone posting a
HowTo yet..).

> Don't know if there are any practical consequences.
> The system didn't panic and I was able to plug the ethernet USB interface
> after this and it worked.

Feel blessed it didn't panic ;-)  It seems iwlwifi doesn't like a
particular bit being removed (and re-created, so if you would create the
interface again it most likely will panic).

I have diagnosed some other weirdness in that area the last days; I hope
to have a fix in a few days.

/bz

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb                                                     r15:7