Re: rtw88: no more patching needed but a tunable in loader.conf

From: Kevin Oberman <rkoberman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 17:14:43 UTC
On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 2:26 PM Bjoern A. Zeeb <bz@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> as of 0881eb9665dbfc8a53d9914a9dca1f0473ee1acb you do not need to
> patch your kernel anymore if you have more than 4GB of main memory.
> If you have a previously applied patch you may want to back that out
> to avoid conflicts when updating.
>
> The underlying problem wasn't fixed yet but I added a tunable to the
> code to allow you to use a GENERIC kernel and with that I feel okay to
> also MFC the driver in a few days to stable/13.
>
> The man page got updated (wiki will follow soon).  You want to add:
>
>         compat.linuxkpi.skb.mem_limit=1
>
> to your laoder.conf{.local} now and you need a reboot to make it
> effective.   Beware that the "1" is a specific value to limit DMA
> to 32bit.  Other values will not work for the desired results!
>
> You can check that the tunable was applied correctly by checking the
> read-only sysctl of the same name after booting.
>

> Enjoy,
> Bjoern
>
> --
> Bjoern A. Zeeb                                                     r15:7

Before I shoot myself in hte foot, can I get a little clarification?

I am running 13.1-Stable with an AX200. When this gets MFCed to 13.1-Stable
I guess I'll need to deal with this. I don't run a GENERIC kernel, but my
minor changes (SCHED_4BSD) would not seem like it would matter. Am I
correct? Since I have 20G of RAM, am I right to assume that I'll need
compat.linuxkpi.skb.mem_limit=1 in boot/loader.conf? I will not be updating
my system until the end of the month as I will be travelling and may not
even have network connectivity. (Most hotels seem to be using wireless that
does not play with FreeBSD's dhciient).

Just want to be sure that I know how to proceed when I get home and try to
update.

Thanks!

E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com