Re: iwlwifi auth->scan error/panic

From: Kyle Evans <kevans_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 20:30:02 UTC
On Fri, Dec 31, 2021 at 6:03 PM Bjoern A. Zeeb <bz@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I got two reports in the last three days from people who have traces
> showing the driver attaching, scanning and starting to authenticate/associate
> and (in one case) apparently having succeeded but then bounce back to
> scanning.
>
> The two cases are different but essentially mean net80211 or
> iwlwifi/firmware didn't see some frames it expected (or there is also
> a possibility of a logic bug between mac80211/iwlwifi still;  I had
> cherry-picked some fixes for that already).
>
> Long story short:  in the follow-up of the  auth_to_scan change people
> are seeing firmware crashes or in a follow-up even a panic.
>
> I'll be looking into those the first days in the New Year.
> If you have such a case please make sure to turn on wlandebug with
> "+auth +scan +state +node" at least (see wiki for how to do this in
> rc.conf [1]) and drop me a private email with the log.

I'm seeing something that goes a little like (transcribed from a
picture, swap partition too small):

wlan0: no link ...
WARNING mva_sta->dup_data == ((void *0)) failed at
/usr/src/sys/contrib/dev/iwlwifi/mvm/rxmq.c:509
wlan0: ieee80211_new_state_locked: pending ASSOC -> RUN transition lost
wlan0: link state changed to UP
wlan0: link state changed to DOWN
WARNING mva_sta->dup_data == ((void *0)) failed at
/usr/src/sys/contrib/dev/iwlwifi/mvm/rxmq.c:509 (repeated at least a
dozen times)
panic: lkpi_sta_assoc_to_auth: lsta ... state not AUTH: 0

Related? This is with main at bec766282f242aab3a4bfba402ea74cb0ccf96fb
("LinuxKPi: 802.11 fix locking ..."). I'm seeing this on maybe 70-80%
of boots now, while the last snapshot before it entered the tree was
relatively-ish stable.

Thanks,

Kyle Evans