Re: New iwlwifi firmware for testing in main

From: Bjoern A. Zeeb <bz_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2022 00:13:29 UTC
On Sun, 7 Aug 2022, Bakul Shah wrote:

Hi,

thank yo uvery much for the detailed reply.  This probably saved me hours.

> On Aug 7, 2022, at 2:46 PM, Bjoern A. Zeeb <bz@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 2 Aug 2022, Bakul Shah wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, I narrowed it down to a specific case. If I use
>>>
>>> ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP"
>>>
>>> everything works. If I replace DHCP with a fixed address it panics as before.
>>
>> That is interesting.  I'll try to repro that next week.
>>
>>> Apparently this happens as soon as the device associates with an AP.
>>
>> According to the log it didn't associate yet when the firmware crashed.
>> Given this is a 9260 this looks like a bug we fixed about 6-ish weeks ago.
>>
>> Is this a 14-CURRENT or an up-to-date stable/13?
>> What's the branch and git hash?  (possible uname -v)
>
> I just recompiled it.
> $ uname -a
> FreeBSD xxxx 14.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT #11 main-n257169-7064c94a02af: Sun Aug  7 08:58:30 PDT 2022     root@xxxx:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC amd64
>
> in /etc/rc.conf changed
> 	ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP"
> 	ifconfig_wlan0="WPA inet 192.168.123.45 netmask 255.255.255.0"
>
> and
> # service netif restart wlan0

That's a slightly different story than I thought.  Good you mentioned!
I was assuming adding the static address makes it crash at boot time
already every time.

The fact that you are now taearing an interface down, destroying the
clone and trying to create a new one goes by the documented fact of
stability problems and synching state as still listed on the Wiki.

I wonder if I can ask you to do yet another test?  Does the same thing
happenif you simply run the service command without any changes to the
configuration?

(1) boot up
(2) wait a bit, possibly until it associated.
(3) please make no changes whatsoever
(4) run `service netif restart wlan0` and see if that panics too?

The reason I am asking is that I dont' have to spend time then to
try to make it break with a static IP address (which I failed based on
past reports) and the problem description simply is "restarting the
interface makes it crash".

Bjoern

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb                                                     r15:7