Intel Wireless Driver Snapshot 2 + initial rtw88 testing

From: Bjoern A. Zeeb <bz_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2021 12:36:14 UTC
Hi,

I am happy to announce the 2nd snapshot for the Intel wireless
"iwlwifi" driver for HEAD.
This work remains sponsored by the FreeBSD Foundation.

The main problem with packets not flowing seems fixed (at least I
hope) and I believe the code is ready for the next round of testing.
It still is (forcefully) limited to 11a/b/g and once I am back in the
office in ~2 weeks I hope to start working on 11n.
At the moment this should get you close to what you get out of iwm(4)
if you have an older card, and (apart from AX210?) support the new
cards.

The full details remain on the wiki page at:
 	https://wiki.freebsd.org/WiFi/Iwlwifi

Please let me know if you test a chipset/firmware combination not
listed there or if you re-test one of them.

In addition I spent some time on the Realtek rtw88 driver as well.
It's not fully working currently for me under bhyve passthru but you
should be able to attach the driver and create the wireless interface.
After that depending on your chipset you'd have to manually create
the wlan(4) interface and test but if you do so please be prepared
for a lockup of your machine.  I'll try to do a bare metal test again
once I am back.
Both loading initial firmware and while running have exhibited
"interesting" DMA behaviour.  The former over page boundries, the latter
also known as a problem in the Linux world.

I created a dummy Wiki page at:
 	https://wiki.freebsd.org/WiFi/Rtw88
and will fill it soon-ish with more content.  If you want to give it a go
please do exactly the as for iwlwifi (the release bits include both
drivers).

I haven't tested them on stable/13 yet (not sure they even apply).
So unless you know what you are doing, support for HEAD only.

There's no public git to track yet and core is still working on
solving what currently prevents the import.

Lastly I'd love to also thank all the people who sent personal email
to my inbox, did send feedback, gave the initial snapshot a try, helped
to analyse and debug problems and patiently retested.

Have fun and stay healthy!
Bjoern

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb                                                     r15:7