[Bug 287326] bhyve: Ubuntu guest doesn't boot with TPM emulation enabled

From: <bugzilla-noreply_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2026 17:32:51 UTC
https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=287326

Roman Bogorodskiy <novel@FreeBSD.org> changed:

           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
             Status|New                         |In Progress

--- Comment #4 from Roman Bogorodskiy <novel@FreeBSD.org> ---
I was testing it on fresh -CURRENT, and I think it's more a configuration issue
than a bug. Apparently, TPM needs the persistent VARS file to be specified to
work. That is, a slightly modified command from my previous tests works just
fine:

bhyve -c 2 -m 4096 -A -I -u -H -P \
      -s 0:0,hostbridge \
      -l
bootrom,/usr/local/share/uefi-firmware/BHYVE_UEFI_CODE.fd,/var/lib/libvirt/bhyve/nvram/ubuntu_VARS.fd
\
      -s 2:0,xhci,tablet \
      -s 1:0,lpc \
      -s 3:0,ahci,hd:/data/img/ubuntu.img \
      -s 4:0,virtio-net,tap2,mac=52:54:00:d2:8b:41 \
      -s 5:0,fbuf,tcp=127.0.0.1:5905 \
      -l com1,/dev/nmdm1A \
      -l tpm,swtpm,/var/run/swtpm/tpm \
      ubuntu

That seems like a non trivial configuration details, so I'll at least try to
document that in the manual page. Not sure if a warning or something similar
should be issued...

-- 
You are receiving this mail because:
You are the assignee for the bug.