Re: BHYVE_SNAPSHOT

From: Rob Wing <rob.fx907_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2023 02:31:23 UTC
Hey Matthew,

On Sun, Apr 30, 2023 at 1:41 PM Matthew Grooms <mgrooms@shrew.net> wrote:

> Would you like to see support for VM snapshots in the generic kernel?

Is there a review open that addresses the limitations described in the
commit message that brought the snapshot feature in?
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-src/commit/483d953a86a2507355f8287c5107dc827a0ff516

> How about support for warm or live migration?

This builds off the snapshot work, right? Seems like it'd make more sense
to address the current limitations of the snapshot code before extending
the functionality off the top of it.

> There are experimental patches for all these features that were developed
> by students at UPB. In a lot of cases, there are open reviews that have
> been waiting on feedback for ages.

In general, most people don't want to review large experimental patches.

> The case is quite plain. I'm not sure what the solution is to this
> problem. I'd love to hear feedback from the community about how I've got
> this completely wrong and how the course could be corrected. That would
> be something.

My perspective is that it would have been better to focus student efforts
on completing the snapshot feature. By completing the snapshot feature, I
mean getting the code into a state where it's compiled in by default and no
longer considered an experimental feature.

-Rob