RE: bhyve GPU passthrough + romfile

From: Corvin Köhne <C.Koehne_at_beckhoff.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 05:59:28 UTC
Hi John,

> Thank you for the detailed response. I will try these for my own curiosity. Is there a reason these patches aren’t in the upstream project or otherwise available as a FreeBSD port/package?

I already sent the patches upstream. There wasn't much feedback on it but the feedback I got rejected the change. https://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=25822+0+/usr/local/www/mailindex/archive/2021/freebsd-virtualization/20210620.freebsd-virtualization

I'm not sure if it makes sense to create a new port/package for my changes. I'm working on some improvements to bhyve to support QEMU's OVMF.
QEMU's OVMF supports bus enumeration. So, it might be easier to just switch to QEMU's OVMF when it's supported.

> I have a Radeon RX 580 FWIW. Disabling the card in Windows for every boot is a pretty ugly hack but I might play around with it. Too bad Windows Update is so heavy handed in the consumer editions of Windows.

This GPU seems to be affected by the reset bug. It can't be fixed because it's a hardware bug, sry.

Btw: On my AMD system, linux is able to reboot. The driver throws some errors on restart but it seems to work.

Best regards
Corvin

Beckhoff Automation GmbH & Co. KG | Managing Director: Dipl. Phys. Hans Beckhoff
Registered office: Verl, Germany | Register court: Guetersloh HRA 7075