Re: bhyve vCPU limit

From: Michael Dexter <editor_at_callfortesting.org>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2021 05:51:54 UTC
On 12/2/21 8:59 AM, John Doherty via freebsd-virtualization wrote:
> On my system, I'm sure that all I did was edit vmm.h, make buildworld,
> and make installworld.

There have been concerns voiced that a higher vCPU count would increase
the resources consumed by all VMs, even if they only have one vCPU.

If there is a correct solution to be implemented, please voice it and I
assure you there are many people who are ready to compensate the work.

This topic came up on this morning's bhyve Production Users call. The
low vCPU limit is keeping some applications on "the previous hypervisor"
with organizations that have otherwise moved entirely to bhyve.

The 16 vCPU limitation is directly impacting production users and I
welcome them to chime in with their use cases. I personally desire a
higher count for contained buildworlds and the use case from today was a
financial application that must be comforted with a high quantity of vCPUs.

The discussion broadened into strategies for guaranteeing that VMs are
pinned to physical cores, and the desire for fine-grained distribution
of physical and virtual cores to the host and VMs, most of which can
already be controlled with a mix of cpuset and vCPU pinning.

Please commit to increasing the vCPU value sooner rather than later.

Regarding the Production Users call, it is open to everyone and the
minutes are public. Information about joining is linked from bhyve.org
and the title of the IRC channel.

Warmest regards,

Michael