Re: bhyve vCPU limit

From: John Doherty via freebsd-virtualization <freebsd-virtualization_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 23:12:44 UTC
On Wed 2021-12-01 11:13 AM MST -0700, <olevole@olevole.ru> wrote:

> As far as I remember, it is not enough to simply change one parameter
> in .h file: https://bhyvecon.org/bhyveconOttawa2019-Rodney.pdf

I may be wrong but my understanding is that prior to the work described
in that presentation, some of the bhyve data structures were such that
vCPU counts above 21 would not be possible. That work resolved that but
the VM_MAXCPU value was left at 16.

On my system, I'm sure that all I did was edit vmm.h, make buildworld,
and make installworld.

I did some other stuff while sort of stumbling toward that eventual
solution, described here:

<https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-virtualization/2021-May/009508.html>

Once what I was doing wrong was pointed out, it seemed to me that after
editing that file, "make buildworld" and "make installworld" would be
the simplest way to do things, so that's what I did. It's been working
fine for six months or so.