Re: sysutils/rpi-firmware update

From: Juraj Lutter <otis_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 13:15:56 UTC

> On 31 Oct 2022, at 12:20, Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> On 2022-Oct-31, at 01:17, Juraj Lutter <otis@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> what should be done to update sysutils/rpi-firmware to the recent version?
>> I’ve tried to naively update the PORTVERSION but I’ve not been able to boot (I only tried one time) the RPI-4-B.
>
> To my knowledge, no one is actively working on support of the
> RPi* related code base in FreeBSD.

Good to know. Can I help somehow?

> It is  not clear what you are looking to make work observably
> differently by updating just the RPi* firmware to more recent
> than FreeBSD officially supports.

The problem I’m observing is: https://files.wilbury.net/s/A7jWesNiHQ7GM9e

My initial approach was to make use of DHT20 sensor that I’ve got.
It is an i2c-connected (compared to GPIO-connected DHT11/DHT22) sensor.

So one of the first things I did was to take i2c-sensor.dtbo from the
recent rpi-firmware ( There is no i2c-sensor in 20210805 version of firmware,
that’s why I took the recent version), decompiled dtbo to dts, added AHT10/AHT20
lines (similar to https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/commit/c20376da5e61323410d1ffb076db1ae818ccbf59),
compiled back to dtbo, only to find out that the device is not recognized at all.

It did not appear even in devinfo.

So i’ve also added fragments for DHT10 and DHT20, then the devices at least appeared in
devinfo output (the device is seemingly marketed as AHT20 but present itself as DHT20 on the bus).

Then I’ve written a “stub” driver, just to test whether it will at least probe and attach (and it did!) :-)

otis

—
Juraj Lutter
otis@FreeBSD.org