Re: u-boot debug, was: Re: U-boot on RPI3, sees disk but won't boot it

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2022 21:12:42 UTC
On 2022-Oct-4, at 13:44, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 04, 2022 at 01:04:20PM -0700, Mark Millard wrote:
>>
>> I sent EDK2 instructions last night for producing a
>> EDK2 microsd card. See:
>>
>> https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-arm/2022-October/001903.html
>>

> It took a second reading to recognize that. Sorry!
>
>> But I did not list gpart show output for the
>> media that I used:
>>
>> =>      63  61145025    mmcsd0  MBR  (29G)
>>        63      1985            - free -  (993K)
>>      2048    524288  mmcsd0s1  fat32lba  [active]  (256M)
>>    526336  60618752            - free -  (29G)
>>
>> the slice/parition with type fat32lba is much larger
>> than required. Plain fat32 for the type likely would
>> work for booting as well.
>>
>> Side note: The FreeBSD sysutils/edk2 port does not include/cover
>> the RPi* firmware files involved. The:
>>
>> https://github.com/pftf/RPi3/releases/download/v1.37/RPi3_UEFI_Firmware_v1.37.zip
>>
>> also has the officially tested RPi* firmware included,
>> although we need one more file to get the serial console
>> working for FreeBSD. That is covered in the instructions.
>> (We might need another for microsd card slot use.)
>
> Thanks very much, I'll look through the .zip archive and
> see if I can orient myself.

I sent an updated message with gpart and newfs_msdos
related notes added to the instructions.

I'll note that my USB3 NVMe boot media work just fine
via the RPi4 EDK2 and the RPi3 EDK2 materials, no
equivalent of usb_pgood_delay needed.

FYI: RPi4 EDK2 and RPi3 EDK2 have distinct content,
despite some common file names, such as RPI_EFI.fd .
Do not expect to move the 2 types of EDK2's between
the two types of RPi*'s.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com