Re: system clang's -debugger-tuning setting: Is the default gdb setting intended?

From: Alexander Richardson <arichardson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 06:47:31 UTC
On Wed, 21 Feb 2024, 08:43 Brooks Davis, <brooks@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 20, 2024 at 05:54:25PM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:
> > [Curiosity, not an objection.]
> >
> > It appears that most likely all FreeBSD platforms get the gdb
> > setting by default . . .
>
> I'm not sure we've thought about it much, but gdb is almost certainly
> the right default tuning since it's what most developers are accustom
> to.
>
> -- Brooks

I think there is also an argument to default to lldb tuning. Just last week
I discovered that lldb is unable to resolve debug information for types
defined in other shared libraries, so you really need to build with -glldb
or -fstandalone-debug to get any support for e.g. standard library types (
https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/issues/60994#issuecomment-1447337360).
The downside is that the resulting binaries are bigger so it depends on how
important lldb support is.

Alex