Re: system clang's -debugger-tuning setting: Is the default gdb setting intended?

From: Paul Floyd <pjfloyd_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 08:58:17 UTC

On 21-02-24 17:43, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 20, 2024 at 05:54:25PM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:
>> [Curiosity, not an objection.]
>>
>> It appears that most likely all FreeBSD platforms get the gdb
>> setting by default . . .
>
> I'm not sure we've thought about it much, but gdb is almost certainly
> the right default tuning since it's what most developers are accustom
> to.

And it may also affect other tools. Valgrind's DWARF reader was written
based on GCC's output, which I assume is tuned for GDB.

There are already a few limitations with clang's emitted DWARF. That has
been improving, but there is still a bit lacking regarding local
variables (possibly a limitation of the Valgrind DWARF reader, it's not
part of the code that I've worked on much).

I have no experience with changing that setting but I guess that it
could have an impact.

A+
Paul