Re: lang/rust: resurrect PORT_LLVM as a non-default OPTION

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 01:19:11 UTC
On Oct 9, 2023, at 16:28, Charlie Li <vishwin@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Mark Millard wrote:
>> My understanding is that building a devel/llvm* these days requires
>> building rust first, via needing to build python things (for
>> documentation purposes?), that in turn need rust to have been built
>> first. Last I knew, trying to disable the llvm* DOCS option in a
>> normal way did not avoid the "needs rust" issue.
> This is no longer necessary.
>> Absent use of a workaround to avoid this, it would seem to be
>> problematical to use PORT_LLVM for rust if the llvm* in question
>> would itself need to be built.
> The circular dependency was removed by default in ports commit 761dc8a9f4ddef2adad122a57a477e65457582fb. It was an OPTION that should not have been default for other reasons.

I had not noticed that when it went by. Nice improvement.

Too bad there is not a reasonable way to document that if SSL
is enabled for net/py-urllib3 that other workarounds might be
necessary. Part of the issue is that the workarounds would
likely not go in (or be for) net/py-urllib3 , development/llvm*
being a type of example of that.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com