Re: An idea for a pkg option

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 00:49:19 UTC
On 2022-Mar-22, at 04:44, Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net> wrote:

> 22.03.2022 16:56, Mark Millard wrote:
>
>> For my explicit list of what to try to install
>> (in the file) your command does not work for
>> my purpose/goal:
>>
>> # pkg install -yU `cat ~/origins/amd64-pkgs.txt`
>> pkg: No packages available to install matching 'rpi4-edk2' have been found in the repositories
>> pkg: No packages available to install matching 'rpi4-edk2' have been found in the repositories
>
> Does it work if you do that in the "clean room", f.e. in a chrooted directory
> that never had any remote repository data cached? It works for me in such case.

FYI:

/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf has: "enabled: no" (so the rest does not matter)

/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/custom.conf has:

custom: {
        url: "file:///usr/local/poudriere/data/packages/13_0R-amd64-default",
        enabled: yes,
}

So: not a truly "remote repository" context. These are examples
but the other pairs of *.conf files are similar for the various
contexts.

I've not tried a special, separate chroot area for experimenting
with this.

> Maybe point it to non-existent or clean directory instead:
>
> env PKG_DBDIR=/nonexistent pkg install -yU ...

Trying this sort of thing in my normal context . . .

# env PKG_DBDIR=/nonexistent pkg install `cat ~/origins/amd64-pkgs.txt`
Updating custom repository catalogue...
Fetching meta.conf: 100%    163 B   0.2kB/s    00:01
Fetching packagesite.pkg: 100%  146 KiB 149.0kB/s    00:01
Processing entries: 100%
custom repository update completed. 552 packages processed.
All repositories are up to date.
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'rpi3-edk2' have been found in the repositories
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'rpi4-edk2' have been found in the repositories

(And that was it.)

But with the 2 lines removed:

# env PKG_DBDIR=/nonexistent pkg install `cat ~/origins/amd64-pkgs.txt`
Updating custom repository catalogue...
custom repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
The following 324 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

New packages to be INSTALLED:
	Imath: 3.1.4
	aarch64-binutils: 2.37_2,1
	aarch64-gcc6: 6.5.0_3
	aarch64-gcc9: 9.3.0_1
	acpica-tools: 20210930
	alsa-lib: 1.2.2_1
	amd64-binutils: 2.37_2,1
	amd64-gcc6: 6.5.0_3
. . .
	llvm14: 14.0.0.r4
. . .
	xxhash: 0.8.1
	zip: 3.0_1
	zpool-iostat-viz: 3_1
	zstd: 1.5.2
	ztop: 0.2.0

Number of packages to be installed: 324

The process will require 13 GiB more space.

Proceed with this action? [y/N]:

But the only thing needing installation (that was available)
was devel/llvm14 . The rest was already installed and up to
date.

So this is not a match to what I made a feature request/suggestion
for.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com