Re: print/tex-xetex: TeX capacity exceeded

From: Moin Rahman <bofh_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 10:55:35 UTC

> On Oct 28, 2022, at 11:53 PM, Joerg Wunsch <joerg@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I tried to upgrade my entire TeX ports, and it stops in xetex with
>
> [...]
> UTF-8 Thai hyphenation patterns
> (/usr/local/share/texmf-dist/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/patterns/tex/hyph-th.tex
> ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [pattern memory=1000000].
> l.3412 6ฅ.
>
> No pages of output.
> Transcript written on xetex.log.
> fmtutil [INFO]: log file copied to: /usr/ports/print/tex-xetex/work/stage/usr/local/share/texmf-var/web2c/xetex/xetex.log
> fmtutil [ERROR]: running `xetex -ini   -jobname=xetex -progname=xetex -etex xetex.ini </dev/null' return status: 1
> fmtutil [ERROR]: returning error due to option --strict
> fmtutil [INFO]: not selected formats: 4
> fmtutil [INFO]: failed to build: 1 (xetex/xetex)
> fmtutil [INFO]: total formats: 5
> fmtutil [INFO]: exiting with status 1
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /usr/ports/print/tex-xetex
>

> Any ideas how to work around that?
>
> I looked into /usr/local/share/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf
I don't think that is the correct file. Because the file that is used while building is dynamically generated from PORTSDIR/Mk/bsd.tex.mk so far I remember. There were couple of issues while upgrading using ports and it is advisable that you remove all tex related ports before upgrading.

You have also not shared the current OS version and ARCH so it's difficult to anticipate what went wrong. But so far I can confirm all text ports build perfectly in clean state or poudriere.