Re: Running 15.1R on Orange Pi 5 Plus, strange things

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2026 15:25:56 UTC
Please try a -HEAD snapshot on both and see if they work okay for you.



-adrian



On Fri, 18 Sept 2026 at 11:59, Nenhum_de_Nos <lojas@arroway.org> wrote:

>
> September 12, 2026 at 6:49 PM, "Nenhum_de_Nos" <lojas@arroway.org
> <lojas@arroway.org?to=%22Nenhum_de_Nos%22%20%3Clojas%40arroway.org%3E>>
> wrote:
>
> September 12, 2026 at 11:23 AM, "Florian Smeets" <flo@smeets.xyz mailto:
> flo@smeets.xyz?to=%22Florian%20Smeets%22%20%3Cflo%40smeets.xyz%3E > wrote:
>
> On 09.09.26 05:24, Nenhum_de_Nos wrote:
>
>
> Hi,
>
> Hey Matheus,
>
>
> Last month I had issues with 15.1R on two Orange Pi 5 Plus (OP5P) devices,
> where git would not resolve ok for opnsense repos on github. After some
> time and tests, I got to figure that ARM64 was not enough to trigger it, it
> has to be on OP5P here. I tried more then 3 times on the OP5P and more than
> 3 elsewhere.
>
> how did you get 15.1 running on the Orange PI 5 Plus? I have one lying
> around, I only know about personalbsd.org and Søren Schmidt's 14.X
> images. Did you build one yourself?
>
> I'd be happy to test on mine, but every attempt to upgrade from 14 to 15
> on mine failed.
>
> Thanks
> Florian
>
>
> Hi Florian,
>
> to install 15.1R on the Orange Pi 5 Plus (OP5P), I download the arm
> memstick install media and then I boot the OP5P using it on a flash drive,
> a hdd disk using usb to sata and serial adapter to have the console.
>
> I use gpt labels as the usb install media has da0 and the storage has da1.
> Need to use usb ethernet for this.
>
> Once finished, just reboot.
>
> I use realtek-re-kmod198 for 2.5Gbps NICs.
>
> I just reinstalled one OP5P here:
>
> Cloning into 'opnsense'...
> remote: Enumerating objects: 589, done.
> remote: Counting objects: 100% (182/182), done.
> remote: Compressing objects: 100% (67/67), done.
> Received disconnect from 4.228.31.150 port 22:11: Bye Bye
> Disconnected from 4.228.31.150 port 22
>
> fetch-pack: unexpected disconnect while reading sideband packet
> fatal: early EOF
> fatal: fetch-pack: invalid index-pack output
>
>
> On RPI5 that was not present.
>
> thanks,
>
> matheus
>
>
> And here comes the main question: Why if I take the HDD I use on OP5P,
> that shows all those errors above, and boot it on RPI5 it all runs fine?
>
> Tested this week, worked fine. :|
>
> matheus
>
>
> ------------
> "We will call you Cygnus,
> The God of balance you shall be."
>