Re: git log - how to find out latest stable/14 breakage

From: Harry Schmalzbauer <freebsd_at_omnilan.de>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 15:35:55 UTC
On 2024-01-20 15:58, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Harry Schmalzbauer:
>
>> suddenly, there are
>> lib/libifconfig/libifconfig_sfp_tables.tpl.c
>>   create mode 100644 lib/libifconfig/libifconfig_sfp_tables.tpl.h
>>   create mode 100644 lib/libifconfig/libifconfig_sfp_tables_internal.tpl.h
>>
>> while lib/libifconfig/libifconfig_sfp.h
>> still reads
>> #include <libifconfig_sfp_tables.h>
>>
>> (note (new) the .tpl.h suffix).
>>
>> Neither on CLI with 'git log' nor via cgit I can figure out when/what commit
>> changed that filenames.
>
> That would be
>
>    commit 94cba8034ba53725c225c85e35724f0c2b13cea5
>    Author: Ryan Moeller <freqlabs@FreeBSD.org>
>    Date:   Sun Aug 9 16:27:28 2020 +0000
>
>        Move ifconfig SFP status functionality into libifconfig
>        [...]
>
> One way to get at that information is
> $ git log --compact-summary stable/14 -- lib/libifconfig

Thanks!  Will try to remember next time :-)
meanwhile, building with clean obj tree succeeded, so it was just a
local issue!  Sorry for the noise, but maybe others benefit from your
'git' hints too!

> Or just look at the history of one of those files:
> $ git log stable/14 -- lib/libifconfig/libifconfig_sfp_tables.tpl.h
>
>> but never found out how I'm supposed to
>> use git.  I'm looking up usage again and again and again...
>
> To get an understanding of the Git fundamentals, read the first
> three chapters of the Git book:
> https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2

Thanks! I probably read at least parts of it several times, but the time
span between reading about it and actual usage/need is a problem for me.
  I rarely need to use git and I'm too good at forgetting/confusing
things :-(  More practice would help, but there's still so much more to
learn/read/do - using git in no way improves efficiency, so that this
invest would never pay off for me.

> Also, instead of Git you can use Got (ports/devel/got), which also
> works with Git repositories, but has a very different, svn-inspired
> user interface.

That sounds weird somehow, but interesting.

Thanks for your help!
-harry