Re: src upgrade locally vs nfs from RELENG_12 to RELENG_13

From: mike tancsa <mike_at_sentex.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 18:57:21 UTC
On 2/12/2024 4:52 PM, Robert R. Russell wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Feb 2024 16:04:29 -0500
> mike tancsa<mike@sentex.net>  wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Starting to plan to upgrade a few remaining RELENG_12 servers to 13.
>> Was hoping I could just do an nfs mount of /usr/src and /usr/obj of a
>> 13 build server, but it does not seem to work when going from
>> RELENG_12 to RELENG_13.
>>
>> root@proxytest:/usr/src # make installkernel
>>   >>> Install check kernel
>>

>> The problem in more detail:
>>
>> The toolchain stages of building FreeBSD link to the libraries on the
>> build host. Since your build host is from FreeBSD 13-* the toolchain
>> programs are linked to a slightly newer ABI than the FreeBSD 12-*
>> targets support.

Great idea! I just tested this process and it worked.

On my RELENG_12 buildbox I just built RELENG_13 and exported its src and
obj to the RELENG_12 VM I wanted to upgrade.

The only error/warning I got was at installworld where

sysctl: unknown oid 'user.localbase'

popped up.  However, it seems to be just a warning

     ---Mike