Re: nvd compatibility links and geli

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 14:45:36 UTC
On Sat, Sep 23, 2023, 7:19 AM Stefan Ehmann <shoesoft@gmx.net> wrote:

> The 20230612 entry in UPDATING says:
>
>         Encrypted swap partitions need to be changed from nvd to nda if you
>         migrate, or you need to use the above to switch back to nvd.
>
> Are encrypted (non-swap) partitions supposed to work? If not, it would be
> less
> confusing to directly abort with an error message instead of prompting
> "Enter
> passphrase: " first.
>
> # ls -l /dev/nvd0p4
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root wheel 6 Sep 23 14:59 /dev/nvd0p4 -> nda0p4
> # geli attach nvd0p4
> Enter passphrase:
> geli: Provider not found: "nvd0p4"
> geli: There was an error with at least one provider.
>
> Using nda works as expected:
> # geli attach nda0p4
> # Enter passphrase:
> <no error>
>
> Tested on 14.0-BETA3.

They do not work due to obscure issues with geom and how I implemented the
compat code. You will either need to set the sysctl in the updating entry
to switch back to nvd. Or you'll need to change the config to use the new
name.

Geom doesn't provide a nice centralized place to deal with all the name
stuff, so my compat code was just at the most popular places. I missed a
few...

How hard is it for you to adapt?

Warner