Re: Missing disk partition devices and GPT lables in /dev/

From: Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd_at_quip.cz>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 23:20:17 UTC
On 29/11/2023 19:23, Michael Proto wrote:

> This has always been the case on my systems going back to at least 11.0
> (when I first started using ZFS) using diskid over gpt. When I import a
> vdev via /dev/disk/SERIALp1 its associated /dev/ada1p1 disappears.

I never created / imported pool by /dev/diskid/ serials and I don't
understand why I was still getting /dev/diskid/ entries even if they
were disabled by sysctl (may be sysctl.conf is applied to late?)

I fixed it by booting from USB flash drive, manually forced import with
gpt labels, export and reboot:

# zpool import -f -d /dev/gpt/ -R /tank1 tank1
# zpool import -f -d /dev/gpt/ -R /sys0 sys

# cp /etc/zfs/zpool.cache /sys0/etc/zfs/

# zpool export sys
# zpool export tank1

Now after reboot I have these aliases for partitions:

# ls -1 /dev/{diskid,gpt,gptid,ada*}
ls: /dev/diskid: No such file or directory
/dev/ada0
/dev/ada0p1
/dev/ada0p2
/dev/ada0p3
/dev/ada0p4
/dev/ada0p5
/dev/ada1
/dev/ada1p1
/dev/ada1p2
/dev/ada1p3
/dev/ada1p4
/dev/ada1p5

/dev/gpt:
bootC90
bootG8V
diskC90sys
diskC90tank0
diskG8Vsys
diskG8Vtank0
efiC90
efiG8V
swapC90
swapG8V

/dev/gptid:
700a2d08-8be4-11ee-8287-98f2b3f71a30
719acc14-8be4-11ee-8287-98f2b3f71a30
ebaf351d-8bec-11ee-8287-98f2b3f71a30
ec5f6315-8be4-11ee-8287-98f2b3f71a30
ee024e16-8be4-11ee-8287-98f2b3f71a30
fd55c994-8bec-11ee-8287-98f2b3f71a30

And pool is made of GPT lables as I like

# zpool list -v | cut -c1-28
NAME                   SIZE
sys                   39.5G
   mirror-0            39.5G