Re: Missing disk partition devices and GPT lables in /dev/

From: Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd_at_quip.cz>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 22:26:28 UTC
On 28/11/2023 20:55, Warner Losh wrote:

> The problem is a geom design point. When you have multiple aliases that
> you can open, the others are removed from the filesystem view when one
> is opened. It looks like from the above that the mirror-0 was created
> with the diskid, so that's the device that zfs opens, leaving the ada2
> devices removed.

No I really didn't use diskids for pool creation. Those diskids are too
long to type. :) That's why I explicitly post about commands I used:

 >     # zpool create -m none sys mirror ada2p3 ada3p3
 >
 >     # zpool create -m none tank1 mirror ada2p5 ada3p5

I understand that "some" aliases are hidden when other style of aliases
were used but I never see ada0pX missing even if gpt labels are used.

Also partition p4 prepared for swap was not used by any name style /
alias so I expect to see it there but it is not there. ANd the behavior
is the exact opposite - when I now tried to create swap with diskids,
/dev/gpt/ directory was instantly created a populated with gpt label
aliases:

# gmirror label -F -h gmGswap0 /dev/diskid/DISK-Z3010G8Vp4
/dev/diskid/DISK-Z302YC90p4

# ll /dev/gpt/
total 0
crw-r-----  1 root  operator   0xf9 Nov 28 23:22 swapC90
crw-r-----  1 root  operator  0x115 Nov 28 23:22 swapG8V

This is normal example from another machine with similar setup:

# ls -1 /dev/ada*
/dev/ada0
/dev/ada0p1
/dev/ada0p2
/dev/ada0p3
/dev/ada1
/dev/ada1p1
/dev/ada1p2
/dev/ada1p3
/dev/ada2
/dev/ada2p2
/dev/ada3
/dev/ada3p2

# ls -1 /dev/gpt/
boot0
boot1
disk0tank0
disk1tank0
ssd0tank1
ssd1tank1
swap0
swap1

# zpool list -v
NAME                 SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  CKPOINT  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP
  DEDUP    HEALTH  ALTROOT
ssdtank1             199G  51.4G   148G        -         -    75%    25%
  1.00x    ONLINE  -
   mirror-0           199G  51.4G   148G        -         -    75%
25.8%      -    ONLINE
     gpt/ssd0tank1    200G      -      -        -         -      -
-      -    ONLINE
     gpt/ssd1tank1    200G      -      -        -         -      -
-      -    ONLINE
tank0               1.80T   714G  1.10T        -         -    52%    38%
  1.00x    ONLINE  -
   mirror-0          1.80T   714G  1.10T        -         -    52%
38.8%      -    ONLINE
     gpt/disk0tank0  1.81T      -      -        -         -      -
-      -    ONLINE
     gpt/disk1tank0  1.81T      -      -        -         -      -
-      -    ONLINE

As you can see there are aliases in /dev/gpt/, there are partitions for
/dev/adaX devices and the pools are made of gpt labels.
This is what I expect from the system in my first post.

I will try to disable disk_ident as suggested by Freddie Cash.

Kind regards
Miroslav Lachman