Re: csh to sh migration for root in RELENG_14

From: Marek Zarychta <zarychtam_at_plan-b.pwste.edu.pl>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2023 09:29:08 UTC
W dniu 17.11.2023 o 20:41, Garrett Wollman pisze:
> I would recommend changing root's shell to something that better suits
> your needs: either change it back to csh, or install the appropriate
> package and set it to bash or zsh, both of which read startup files
> for all interactive shells, not just login shells.
Over the years many people have gotten used to csh which is really tcsh
in our case, and those who are fully aware, change the shell to csh
immediately after installation. No survey was taken among users, but I
bet that for interactive use tcsh from the base would beat sh from the
base and many users share the same user experience. The change of root's
shell from csh to sh was to attract a new generation of admins who were
used to bash and similar shells. There is no turning back, no escape
from this trend. We will probably also transit with $EDITOR from vi to
ee in the future.

It would be best to choose the root's shell from the installer right
before/after setting the root's password.

Best regards

--

Marek Zarychta