Re: RELENG_14 [process] was killed: failed to reclaim memory

From: mike tancsa <mike_at_sentex.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 16:58:31 UTC
On 11/14/2023 8:25 PM, Mark Millard wrote:
> mike tancsa <mike_at_sentex.net> wrote on
> Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 13:44:22 UTC :
>
>> While testing some new hardware on a recent RELENG_14 image (from Nov
>> 10th), I noticed some of my ssh sessions would get killed off with the
>> errors below (twice in 24hrs)
>>
>> pid 1697 (sshd), jid 0, uid 1001, was killed: failed to reclaim memory
>> pid 6274 (sshd), jid 0, uid 1001, was killed: failed to reclaim memory
>> . . .
> [My notes below are not specific to releng/14.0 or to
> stable/14 .]
>
> What do you have for ( copied from my /boot/loader.conf ):

Thanks Mark, no tuning in there other than forcing a particular driver
to attach

# cat /boot/loader.conf
kern.geom.label.disk_ident.enable="0"
kern.geom.label.gptid.enable="0"
cryptodev_load="YES"
zfs_load="YES"
hw.mfi.mrsas_enable=1
t5fw_cfg_load="YES"
if_cxgbe_load="YES"
#

> #
> # Delay when persistent low free RAM leads to
> # Out Of Memory killing of processes:
> vm.pageout_oom_seq=120
>
> The default is 12 (last I knew, anyway).

Any thoughts for a machine with a lot of RAM, Am I better to limit ARC
or change the default to 120 ?

     ---Mike