Re: Is 14.0 to released based on 0 for sysctl vfs.zfs.bclone_enabled ?

From: Ronald Klop <ronald_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2023 09:01:34 UTC
On 11/4/23 02:39, Mark Millard wrote:
> It looks to me like releng/14.0 (as of 14.0-RC4) still has:
>
> int zfs_bclone_enabled;
> SYSCTL_INT(_vfs_zfs, OID_AUTO, bclone_enabled, CTLFLAG_RWTUN,
> &zfs_bclone_enabled, 0, "Enable block cloning");
>
> leaving block cloning effectively disabled by default, no
> matter what the pool has enabled.
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/releases/14.0R/relnotes/ also reports:
>
> QUOTE
> OpenZFS has been upgraded to version 2.2. New features include:
> block cloning, which allows shallow copies of blocks in file copies. This is optional, and disabled by default; it can be enabled with sysctl vfs.zfs.bclone_enabled=1.
> END QUOTE

I think this answers your question in the subject.

> Just curiousity on my part about the default completeness of
> openzfs-2.2 support, not an objection either way.

I haven't seen new issues with block cloning in the last few weeks mentioned on the mailing lists. All known issues are fixed AFAIK.
But I can imagine that the risk+effect ratio of data corruption is seen as a bit too high for a 14.0 release for this particular feature. That does not diminish the rest of the completeness of openzfs-2.2.

NB: I'm not involved in developing openzfs or the decision making in the release. Just repeating what I read on the lists.

Regards,
Ronald.