Re: RELENG_13 to 14 upgrade fail

From: Matthew Seaman <matthew_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2023 16:39:01 UTC
On 02/11/2023 16:28, mike tancsa wrote:
> On one of my VMs that I upgraded from RELENG_13 to RELENG_14, I forgot
> to update the boot loader so now at bootup, I have
> ZFS: unsupported feature: com.klarasystems:vdev_zaps_v2
>
> Can't find /boot/zfsloader
>
> What is the best way to recover from this ? Its a raw vm image. gpart is
> p1=freebsd-boot, p2=freebsd-swap,p3=freebsd-zfs
>
> I was thinking perhaps start up a second vm thats RELENG_14, mdconfig
> the image, and then what do I need to do ? Just
>
> gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 md0 ?

Yes -- basically you fix this by booting from some other media, and
copying in the updated RELENG_14 bootblocks to your disk image.  Very
much analogously to how you'ld fix it on physical hardware.

You should be able to boot your VM from the installation memstick image
by loading it into the virtual CD drive -- that's probably the simplest.

	Cheers,

	Matthew