Memory question

From: Eivind Nicolay Evensen <eivinde_at_terraplane.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2023 13:04:04 UTC
Hello.

This might be more related to a bios setting or issue, but I hope
somebody can give me hints in the right direction to remedy or
at least diagnose this issue further.

I installed more memory in one machine and now I see this
in dmesg:

real memory  = 25769803776 (24576 MB)
avail memory = 8237150208 (7855 MB)

Real should be right, from before there were two 4 GB dimms in there,
and I inserted two more 8 GB ones.

Transcribed from BIOS:

DIMM(s)			1		2		3		4
Installed Size		8192		8192		4096		4096
Enabled Size		8192		8192		4096		4096
Total Size		24576

I was wondering if the reason could be that this machine has been updated
since older versions and bootloader may be old or whatever, so I also tried
booting a linux. However, that also only uses 8 GB, and says (at least in a
way I understand) less about what it can really see.

This is amd64 FreeBSD 13.1.

Is there any way I can use the rest of the memory? Or at least find out
which dimms it is actually using?

--
Eivind Nicolay Evensen