Re: FreeBSD Errata Notice FreeBSD-EN-23:16.openzfs

From: Tomoaki AOKI <junchoon_at_dec.sakura.ne.jp>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2023 14:02:46 UTC
On Mon, 04 Dec 2023 08:48:52 -0500
Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-stable-local@be-well.ilk.org> wrote:

> Kurt Jaeger <pi@freebsd.org> writes:
>
> > I had thought that the ZFS fix is a kernel fix so that the kernel
> > would also report -p1, but it does not. It might be because
> > zfs is a kernel module, so the kernel itself was not really patched,
> > but I might be wrong here.
>
> As far as I can see, that seems exactly right.

As this kind of confusion caused by mismatch of patchlevel between
kernel and userland arises from time to time, now would be the time to
switch to keep patchlevel in sync between kernel and userland.

This would force both kernel and userland to be built using the same
patchlevel, even if one of which is actually unchanged.
But maybe helpful to avoid confusion like this.

What was worse this time was that a non-in-kernel-but-in-tree module,
zfs.ko, is updated but kernel itself is not updated.

--
Tomoaki AOKI    <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp>