Re: FreeBSD UEFI and freebsd-boot second partition

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2022 15:52:13 UTC
On Sun, Mar 6, 2022, 8:40 AM Eugene M. Zheganin <eugene@zhegan.in> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> Sorry, just failed to find this after a quick googling: bsdinstall in
> UEFI environment creates freebsd-boot second partition. What for and
> what lives there ? I used to think that only EFI system partition is
> needed.

It creates both. This dates from a time that UEFI support was new and
people would configure their BIOS to boot in either the old "BIOS" boot or
with the new UEFI to help diagnose problems.  Now that operation is rare,
but we still have this confusing quirk.

P.S. Attached a second disk to zroot and now wonder what to put there.
> Should I treat it as the regular pre-UEFI gptzfsboot one ?

I'd put nothing on it. Unless you are creating a redundant boot setup....

Warner