Re: Why is freebsd-update telling me 13.0 is EOL? 13.1 isn't visibly even in beta.

From: Kyle Evans <kevans_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 04:29:36 UTC
On Sun, Jan 30, 2022 at 9:50 PM George Michaelson <ggm@algebras.org> wrote:

> I don't understand this response to FreeBSD-update:
>
> Sure. I can read. I know what the words literally mean. But, 2 months
> notice of retirement/EOL for a release when FreeBSD13.1 is not out?
> This doesn't make sense. 13.1 is due April 13. Thats 2 and a half
> months off, and I've seen nothing to suggest I will have the newer
> release inside 2 months.

Hi,

The freebsd-update metadata contains an EoL date that is (presumably)
solely for displaying this message. Right now, we don't know an exact
EoL date of most minor releases until the next minor release schedule
is published, so a projected EoL date is included and updated once the
new release is published.

I'm trying to get this changed to use the branch EoL before we know
when the exact EoL is; the working theory is that nobody uses this
metadata to actually gauge a minor release's EoL, so we'd be better
off setting it to the branch-end until we know better rather than
alerting people this way.

Thanks,

Kyle Evans