Re: Trying to boot a supermicro H8DMT board

From: Willem Jan Withagen <wjw_at_digiware.nl>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 21:51:44 UTC
On 14-1-2022 11:44, Gary Palmer wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 11:27:06AM +0100, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was given these SMC h8DMT boards to experiment with.
>> (For liquid cooling)
>>
>> Theze are server board that normally go into twin board systems.
>> 2 Opteron 2380 per board.
>>
>> It sort of boots, and gets to:
>> ?????? Beasty loader
>> ?????? then booting the kernel after the spinner
>> ???? prints the first few lines of boot output, like what compilers is used
>> ???? and then output stops.
>>
>> I guess that it thinks it needs to write the rest to either serial console
>> or something else.
>>
>> Does this sound familiar to anybody?
>> What do I need to toggle to keep writing where it started?

Just as a final report after ordering some more memory and running
MemTest86+:
   The A slots of the bus connected to the second CPU generate seem to
be broken.

Filling any of those slots will generate memory errors.

One thing I'm going to do is reseat the CPU, and see if any of the
flatbed pins is perhaps
skewed or something of that nature.

Sad thing is that the kernel is not able to report this and perhaps
panic or the likes.

But I must say I've again learned lots of nice things about kernel stuff.

Thanx for all the support here,
--WjW