Re: boot environment and /var/db/etcupdate ?

From: John Kennedy <warlock_at_phouka.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 22:52:53 UTC
On Tue, Aug 23, 2022 at 04:02:48PM +0200, Ronald Klop wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running the super duper boot environment using ZFS. [1]
>
> I have /var and /usr/local as separate datasets. These do not change when I upgrade the OS and that keeps the backups a lot smaller as the backup sees a new BE as a new dataset and fully zfs sends all the data again.
>
> But when I rollback /var/db/etcupdate is not in sync with / anymore.
> And /var/db/ports and /var/db/pkg should be kept in sync with /usr/local. But I do not need to rollback these if I need to go back to the previous BE.

  For my part, /var/db/pkg is mostly just a reference to my local
poudriere package stash and is relevant to the BE (but pretty stagnant
unless I'm changing major versions between 12/13/14).  On my system,
/var/db is part of /.

  i don't have any custom settings in /var/db/ports, I keep all of that
in /etc/make.conf where I can splat that around easily and of course
that then stays synced with the BE.

  I'd be a little leery of having /usr/local decoupled from the BE,
but that's mostly worried about things like kernel drivers that would
get out of sync with the kernel in the BE.

  IMHO, you really do want /var/db/etcupdate synced with the BE.  My
/var/(mail|tmp|crash|log) are separate though.