Re: CAM timeouts on boot (13.0-p8, Dell R730xd, mrsas controller)

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 05:09:45 UTC
On Thu, Mar 31, 2022 at 9:40 PM George Michaelson <ggm@algebras.org> wrote:

> I checked /boot/zfs/zpool.cache and /etc/zfs/zpool.cache both have the
> tank in question, zdb agrees, they are identical, multiple reboots
> re-tested: without a manual zpool import tank, only the zfs zroot
> which is magically mounted appears. The other tank does not unless you
> call it into being. Doing that after multiuser/daemon is bad if your
> daemons work in it. (and bad for NFS exports)
>
> The zfs pages are a bit cryptic about altroot and other zpool get all
> values, but the basics seem to be that if you do zpool import, and its
> in cache, then it should be detected during zfs/zpool activation.
> People expect that once you import, it will re-import automatically
> thereafter unless you tell it not to. I checked zpool values on a
> system which doesnt have the problem and I don't see any variance for
> zpool params.  zpool.cache was the recommended "have you checked"
> reference.
>
> Not that this can't be PBCAK, but I have tried not to be the root
> cause here. It happened across my upgrade, and the CAM timeout
> intruded in the same window.

I'd expect this to work, though there was a change in this file's location
between
pre-openzfs and now. But if you are using 12.x, then that's not going to be
the case...

dmesg is interesting, but not completely helpful... Do can you share your
zfs config
details (what disks are in what datasets?)

Warner