Re: routing changes from Sept 7th and possible ppp breakage (RELENG_13)

From: Zhenlei Huang <zlei.huang_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 08:34:20 UTC

> On Sep 10, 2021, at 5:38 AM, mike tancsa <mike@sentex.net> wrote:
>
> On our standard nanobsd router image we use, I noticed failover routing
> broke all of a sudden.  We are not using multiple FIBs, but somehow we
> now have two default routes I am guessing because of multipath.  (Note,
> we just started testing RELENG_13 so its possible I am making bad
> assumptions somewhere.)
>
> default            10.255.255.1       UGS         6   1500       igb0
> default            10.1.0.1           UGS        17   1500      tun10
>
> I am pretty sure from the code base from 3+ days ago, I would not see
> this condition.
>
> In the past, my nano image would get a default route via DHCP.  If that
> path was not functional or blocked, my monitoring software would detect
> the failure and fire up PPP which has
>
>  add! default HISADDR
>
> That now seems to add a second default route instead of getting rid of
> the old one.
>
> if I add net.route.multipath=0
>
> I get back the old behaviour
FreeBSD 13 enabled multipath and default is on. See the routing section
of release notes. https://www.freebsd.org/releases/13.0R/relnotes/#network-routing

> According to the ppp docs
>
>          If the add! command is used (note the trailing "!"), then if the
>          route already exists, it will be updated as with the `route change'
>          command (see route(8) for further details).
>
> Where as now, it doesnt seem to replace it, it seems to just add another
> default route.
At first glance it seems that ppp does not check existing default route before
replacing it with a new one.

> For my purposes, setting net.route.multipath=0 seems to work just fine,
> but I wonder if this warrants a note in ppp's docs since it no longer
> seems to work that way in RELENG_13 ?
Not sure if we need errata. I think we should fix ppp :)