Re: Deprecating smbfs(5) and removing it before FreeBSD 14

From: Andrea Venturoli <ml_at_netfence.it>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 15:15:20 UTC
On 10/28/21 17:05, Eugene Grosbein wrote:

> I routinely use smbfs(5) to access files on Windows-based local file servers,
> both for read and write.
>
> Also, some hosters provide extra network storage (for backups etc.) available over SMB.
>
> Please do not remove what is not broken.

IMVVVVHO...

I *would* use it if it worked: typical case is trying to rescue a broken
system with a live USB key and needing to copy some data to a different
machine.
Given it only supports SMBv1, I more and more find it useless, as the
other side won't cope.

If it was upgraded to support a newer version of SMB protocol... but
that would be another story and it's unlikely to happen.

  bye
	av.