Re: Deprecating smbfs(5) and removing it before FreeBSD 14

From: Ed Maste <emaste_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2021 18:27:52 UTC
On Mon, 1 Nov 2021 at 11:56, Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca> wrote:

> Did they stick APSLs on the files? (If so, I think it could still be ok, since the APSL
> is a lot like the CDDL. However, I'm not sure if the APSL has ever been blessed
> by FreeBSD as of yet?)

I had a quick look at the Illumos kernel files and it appears each
file is licensed under only one of 4-clause BSD, APSL, or CDDL,
depending on where it originated.

Files from Boris Popov's original FreeBSD implementation have the
4-clause BSD license, followed by something like:
/*
 * Copyright (c) 2008, 2010, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
 * Portions Copyright (C) 2001 - 2013 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
 * Copyright 2018 Nexenta Systems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
 */

There are 28 BSD-licensed kernel files, 5 APSL, and 13 CDDL. I think
that having an smbfs kernel module in the tree using a combination of
those licenses is fine. (This isn't on behalf of core@ and of course
due diligence needs to be done, but from a high level it seems
reasonable.)