Re: Service started via service(8) fails

From: Stefan Bethke <stb_at_lassitu.de>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 09:22:56 UTC
Am 27.05.2021 um 10:18 schrieb Ingeborg Hellemo <ingeborg.hellemo@uit.no>:

> FreeBSD 11.4-RELEASE-p3
>
> What, if any, difference is there between using 'service <something> restart'
> and /usr/local/etc/rc.d/<something> restart'?
>
> I have this mindboggling situation where using 'service tac_plus restart'
> leads to a service that is running but not working properly, whereas
> '/usr/local/etc/rc.d/tac_plus restart' gives me a working service.

Mostly the environment, plus file descriptors. Also, in some weird cases, the shell you're running the script from will make a difference.

For example, PATH will likely be different between the environment that service(8) creates vs. the one you're running the script from directly.

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811