Re: cron line continuation?

From: Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen_at_getmail.no>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2021 14:57:38 UTC
On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 13:56:18 +0200
Ronald Klop <ronald-lists@klop.ws> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to create a cron entry with line continuation. This document mentions the \ character:
> https://docs.freebsd.org/doc/13.0-RELEASE/usr/local/share/doc/freebsd/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/configtuning-cron.html
>
> The manual pages do not mention this and I can't get it to work.
>
> Is this possible?

'man 5 crontab' has this section
     The ``sixth'' field (the rest of the line) specifies the command to be
     run.  One or more command options may precede the command to modify
     processing behavior.  The entire command portion of the line, up to a
     newline or % character, will be executed by /bin/sh or by the shell
     specified in the SHELL variable of the cronfile.  Percent-signs (%) in
     the command, unless escaped with backslash (\), will be changed into
     newline characters, and all data after the first % will be sent to the
     command as standard input.

HTH
--
Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@getmail.no>