Run script as root without sudo

From: Aristedes Maniatis via freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 05:31:29 UTC
I've got some scripts which are intended to run on a new EC2 instance
right after it is created. Since the script needs to install packages it
need to run as root. But because I don't have sudo installed at this
point (it is a brand new instance), I've only got 'su' to get root.

The script itself is launched over SSH with the ec2-user account and
there is no root password at this point in the startup.

My first attempt was to put this inside the script itself:

if ["$($whoami)" !="root" ];thenexec su -c"$0" exit1 fi

But su complains that I'm not allowed to execute a command using the -c
option as root.

How else can I get this script running as root remotely in a completely
unattended way?

Cheers

Ari Maniatis