How to install geoiplookup?

From: Rody <rody_at_dds.nl>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2024 13:53:40 UTC
Hi everyone,

Trying to prepare myself to get command line geoip lookups working. Running
13.3-RELEASE-p1 of freebsd. It seems the pkg libmaxminddb is installed by
default but missing the tools to access the data.

The following page tells me to install the libmaxminddb via ports:
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/geoiplookup-for-the-new-geolite2-country-db.69866/
But it does not include info for when you've never used ports before.

The following page tell what to do to get started with ports:
https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/ports/
And tells me that if ports was not installed during install, I should use a
series of commands to use git.

Not sure if ports was indeed installed or not during install. Any way to find
out?

The following page recommends to use portsnap:
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/install-ports-in-freebsd/
Portsnap seems to be installed by default and easier to use, but:
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/portsnap-being-retired-whats-the-alternative.76463/
suggests that maybe only git should be used?

Still, it seems the database was already installed automatically using pkg so
it should probably be deleted prior to starting with ports?

I imagine the geoiplookup tool is only a tiny binary and requires a lot of
work to get it installed this way, or am I missing something?

Rody