Re: small form factor router recommendations

From: Norman Gray <gray_at_nxg.name>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 08:25:00 UTC
Greetings.

On 16 Apr 2024, at 23:41, Alexander Burke wrote:

> There sure is:
>
> https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/dell-optiplex-3040-small-form-factor

Interesting.  Myself, I really wouldn't call that 'small form factor', whatever Dell call it.  I'd call that just 'a moderately compact desktop'.

Looking at the specs [1], it's about 300 x 300 x 100 mm.  What Dell calls a 'micro form factor' machine [2] is about 180 x 180 x 40mm, and even that's pushing it: that's easily the biggest thing I'd think of as 'small'.

I'm not sure what I'd take as a definition of 'small form factor', but 'small enough to be strapped to the back of a monitor' and 'fanless' or 'a few Watts' would probably be in there.

Aha: of _course_ there's a Wikipedia page about them [3].  It looks like volume is a key discriminant, with the things I'd think of as 'small' coming in under 1 litre.

Best wishes,

Norman

[1] https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/desktop-computers/optiplex-small-form-factor/spd/optiplex-7010-small-ff/s015o7010sff_vp
[2] https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/desktop-computers/optiplex-micro-form-factor/spd/optiplex-7010-plus-micro/gctoo7010mffpemea_vp