Re: how to remove freebsd when it is running

From: David Christensen <dpchrist_at_holgerdanske.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 08:14:27 UTC
On 4/17/24 07:21, hlyg wrote:
> my freebsd 13 is installed at flash disk of dell thin client
>
> it doesn't work well, i want to remove it
>
> "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada0 count=1000 ..." doesn't work, freebsd
> doesn't allow
>
> according to dell manual, i shall be able to enter bios by pressing F2
> before bsd booting so that i can set boot sequence  to boot from usb
> disk, but i can't enter bios, pressing F2 doesn't work
>
> it's not easy for me to open case and dismount disk

See "How to Run a Preboot Diagnostic Test on a Dell Computer".  I
suggest that you run all of the tests to verify that your hardware is
working correctly.  No operating system can be expected to work
correctly on broken hardware:

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000181163/how-to-enter-the-built-in-diagnostics-32-bit-diagnostics-supportassist-epsa-epsa-and-psa

Then, boot FreeBSD and backup your data.

Enter the Setup utility per "How to access the BIOS or UEFI":

https://www.dell.com/support/contents/en-us/article/product-support/self-support-knowledgebase/fix-common-issues/bios-uefi

Then look for the following page to erase all internal storage devices
in the computer:

     Setup -> Maintenance -> Data Wipe

David