Questions about a symbol in `libc.so`

From: Andrei Lascu <alas.20073_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2024 11:15:23 UTC
Hello. Due to certain circumstances, I am currently working on a
loader-like application for shared object files to be ran on a system
running an OS derived from FreeBSD. I've got most of the stuff working
to the level I need, but I've found something in `libc.so.7` that's got
me stumped.

The goal is to run a test file that, among others, calls `fdopen` from
`libc.so`. Everything runs well, until line 124 in `findfp.c` is hit (as
per the source for `libc.so` in FreeBSD 14 Stable), where `__sdidinit`
is accessed. In my loader, there is no memory allocated for this
variable, because there is no relocation entry for it. Here is where my
confusion starts.

Looking at the symbol table for `libc.so`, `__sdidinit` is a `LOCAL
DEFAULT` [1] symbol. The only way I can think of to replicate that
behaviour is to declare a variable static. However, the variable is
declared as `int __sdidinit` in `findfp.c` (and also as `extern int
__sdidinit` in `stdio/local.h`, which again, looks odd), which to me
should mean it's a `GLOBAL` symbol (unless there is some weird linking
stuff I didn't manage to hunt down during compilation). Furthermore,
running the program through the system runtime loader (and also looking
at the compiled assembly), accessing the variable seems to be done to
what I 90% believe is a GOT lookup. However, with no relocation entry,
I'm completely unsure how this is the case.

My questions are as follows:
1) Is it possible to access a variable via a GOT lookup when a
relocation entry does not exist?
2) Is there some explanation as to how this variable gets `LOCAL` binding?
3) Is perhaps the system loader doing some special thing because it
considers `libc.so` especially, and it brings some relocation entries
from somewhere else, or has some default ones?
4) A side question: while the symbol exists in `libc.so.7.full`, after
doing a `make buildworld`, it seems to be stripped out of `libc.so.7`
itself - I'm wondering if this is some optimization at work.

Thanks in advance for your help, and apologies if this was the wrong
mailing list to ask.

Regards,
Andrei.

[1] I should mention I had a look at OpenBSD's `libc.so`, which was the
other `libc.so` that I found with this symbol. In there, the main
difference is that `__sdidinit` is `LOCAL HIDDEN`, which, if some
similar mechanism might be employed in FreeBSD, might explain 2) and 4)
above, but I'm still unsure where to look.