Re: read and write back full disk to trigger relocation

From: Sysadmin Lists <sysadmin.lists_at_mailfence.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 23:41:33 UTC
> From: David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
> Date: May 31, 2023, 3:46:30 PM
> To: <questions@freebsd.org>
> Subject: Re: read and write back full disk to trigger relocation
>

> On 5/31/23 14:44, Sysadmin Lists wrote:
> > David Christensen May 31, 2023, 12:30:43 AM
> >>
> >> Looking at FreeBSD code will not provide information about the HDD
> >> controller hardware and firmware.
> >
> > You're still not getting it: *they* are the ones claiming to be effectively
> > writing out those blocks. It's up to them to validate that claim by accounting
> > for whatever HDD controller hardware and firmware are doing.
> >
> > There's no magic at play; either the source code proves their claims and
> > assumptions or it doesn't.
> >
> > Perhaps you can submit a bug report asking them to remove that example from the
> > manpage, with something like "you can't make that claim without knowing what
> > every HDD controller hardware and firmware are doing." Will be interested in their
> > response.
>

> If you feel the need to file a bug report, go for it.
>

> David

dd has existed since 1974 (according to Wokipedia), and the coreutils
implementation since 1990 (?). I figure if it wasn't doing what it purports to,
someone would have complained by now. Your question about *how* it does it is a
good one, but if the source code doesn't show it, then maybe you'll find your
answer in the "References" section:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_(Unix)

--
Sent with https://mailfence.com